Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Episode 179 - "Jamboree"

Group 4

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Hurray! Group 4 is back and experiencing Overwatch after almost 2 months. And there's even an interesting sponsor ad delivered with an accent of somewhat unknown / mixed origin.

Discuss!

• varla30, AlexissPt and LizaWejems like this

varla30

varla30

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Loved Bri's accent for the sponser ad! :) 

• JadziaGrace likes this

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

OK, I'll jump back in since this has been relatively quiet so far.

Scenario that must happen: Avalan goes for a ride in the Grimnas mobile and discusses the finer points of carriage accouterments, fine dining and liquor with Malchus. Theo supplies the occasional rejoinder to round out the conversation.

I loved the comment (not positive who said it now, sorry) about not wanting to know what the house would have been like had they rolled a 16. That was classic.

"The Decision" by the group should prove interesting. I could see some real differences of opinion between the characters on what to do next. I'm thinking Avalan would go along with anything as long as there is food involved, but it's hard to guess what Ephany might think. Seems possible that Sora might be more inclined to go out into the world to find a cause to take up than the others. Should be an interesting next episode.

• Chancellor and MichaelJ like this

varla30

varla30

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

OK, I'll jump back in since this has been relatively quiet so far.

Scenario that must happen: Avalan goes for a ride in the Grimnas mobile and discusses the finer points of carriage accouterments, fine dining and liquor with Malchus. Theo supplies the occasional rejoinder to round out the conversation.

I loved the comment (not positive who said it now, sorry) about not wanting to know what the house would have been like had they rolled a 16. That was classic.

"The Decision" by the group should prove interesting. I could see some real differences of opinion between the characters on what to do next. I'm thinking Avalan would go along with anything as long as there is food involved, but it's hard to guess what Ephany might think. Seems possible that Sora might be more inclined to go out into the world to find a cause to take up than the others. Should be an interesting next episode.

Ephany stated that she agreed with Avalan in wanting the best for the city and showed interest in going and showing good will gestures ect to other cities as I believe Zoya had said

• Chancellor likes this

Midhir

Midhir

Aubrey healer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Pebo Bryson or Sonny Spoons?  Which came to mind first?

I hope they end up having Theria Nascar...because so appropriate...a mixture of Ben Hur and magic

Archimedes

Archimedes

Nu-Val Hired Goon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

If i'm being perfectly honest, parts of this episode were a little frustrating for me to listen too.  I undertstand that the characters were played as true to form as they could be, except eliwrath who i would have thought as a barbarian would have been more interested in the barbaric options...  Group four is so shell shocked that they are afraid to take on dangerous jobs. Jason provided them with a list of several options to follow and the one they got excited for was a peaceful jaunt about town talking to people. I dont know how entertaining i'm going to find the next few episodes. I imagine they'll be Overwatch equivalents of LDS missionaries. "Hello neighbor! Have you heard the good word?!". but that will be tolerable compared to if they become the PETA of theria...

That being said, im positive avalan will be the reason i listen to g4 for a while, he's hilarious, and i have absolute faith that jason will find a way to make their good will initiative engaging. 

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 569 posts
  • United States

If i'm being perfectly honest, parts of this episode were a little frustrating for me to listen too.  I undertstand that the characters were played as true to form as they could be, except eliwrath who i would have thought as a barbarian would have been more interested in the barbaric options...  Group four is so shell shocked that they are afraid to take on dangerous jobs. Jason provided them with a list of several options to follow and the one they got excited for was a peaceful jaunt about town talking to people. I dont know how entertaining i'm going to find the next few episodes. I imagine they'll be Overwatch equivalents of LDS missionaries. "Hello neighbor! Have you heard the good word?!". but that will be tolerable compared to if they become the PETA of theria...

That being said, im positive avalan will be the reason i listen to g4 for a while, he's hilarious, and i have absolute faith that jason will find a way to make their good will initiative engaging. 

2 quick things. 

Class does not equal character. Eliwrath is a barbarian but that isn't ALL she is. Think of it as more of a fighting style than a character base. It's the same with paladins or other classes. Just because they are filed under that doesn't mean they all act a certain way. 

They've also just gotten back from a pretty nerve wracking campaign and I don't think many could blame them for not wanting to really jump right back in with the most (seemingly) life threatening stuff. Remember, only two of them (Eliwrath and Sora) were even originally in the White Ravens. The rest are very recent and might be feeling things out. Some of it might just be them trying to prioritize and see what might help out the city the most. 

In any event, don't be so quick to sell them short. I think they're going to surprise a lot of people no matter what they choose. It's a talented group and they've had to deal with a ton this last year. :) 

• Chancellor, varla30 and MichaelJ like this

That guy who writes for that show.

Archimedes

Archimedes

Nu-Val Hired Goon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

2 quick things. 

Class does not equal character. Eliwrath is a barbarian but that isn't ALL she is. Think of it as more of a fighting style than a character base. It's the same with paladins or other classes. Just because they are filed under that doesn't mean they all act a certain way. 

They've also just gotten back from a pretty nerve wracking campaign and I don't think many could blame them for not wanting to really jump right back in with the most (seemingly) life threatening stuff. Remember, only two of them (Eliwrath and Sora) were even originally in the White Ravens. The rest are very recent and might be feeling things out. Some of it might just be them trying to prioritize and see what might help out the city the most. 

In any event, don't be so quick to sell them short. I think they're going to surprise a lot of people no matter what they choose. It's a talented group and they've had to deal with a ton this last year. :)

oh no i totally understand WHY they chose what they did and their motivations, they play their characters great, sometimes i do forget that class is generally irrelevant to personality, my apologies. i guess im just anticipating several episodes of in town interaction, which isnt bad, but i listen at work, while pumping fuel for hours, so the talkies are less entertaining for me until the stuff gets rolling deep like the malchus trial. 

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 569 posts
  • United States

oh no i totally understand WHY they chose what they did and their motivations, they play their characters great, sometimes i do forget that class is generally irrelevant to personality, my apologies. i guess im just anticipating several episodes of in town interaction, which isnt bad, but i listen at work, while pumping fuel for hours, so the talkies are less entertaining for me until the stuff gets rolling deep like the malchus trial. 

I get that. :)

I sure there will be just as much push-back inside the walls of the city as there would be outside of them. It just might take a different form. 

• JadziaGrace likes this

Orden_Kingshield

Orden_Kingshield

Aubrey healer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

It's great to hear G4 again.  

I'm really looking forward to hearing what path they take...I personally want to see the slavers taken out.  But I'll be happy without whatever happens :-)

As far as "less dangerous" options...

Have you met Jason?  Mr. Massey hates us.  You should see the "victory" board he has at home of all the PC's he's savagely destroyed. A walk around town?  Race Wars strongly reminiscent of the LA Riots.  Or maybe they do some good there.  Hey that dragon thing isn't a problem anymore, right? It just got solved neatly off camera with a nice little bow around it. I'm sure that couldn't come back to haunt them.  Nope!  But both of those are possible to predict, and that really isn't the Therian way.  Stay tuned next week for when Jason finds an entirely unexpected way to slay innocent characters and cause us players to barely avoid drowning in our own tears.

I fear for group 4, no matter what choice they make.

But that's a fear I have for all of us. The only ones safe are those listening, far away from the reach of Massey the Murderer.

P.S. And I hope everyone knows this, but no part of this message after the third sentence is in any way serious.  ...to the best of my knowledge. If Jason actually does have a kill board at home, that's both cool and (at least) slightly psychotic.

P.P.S. Was there no "The Money Pit" reference?  I was listening at work, and I admit it was possible I missed it, but this felt like a perfect moment to call back to a really solid Tom Hanks movie...which apparently isn't "all" that well thought of after a quick internet search.  Hrmph.  

• Kelsey, Calluna Vulgaris, TCKnight and 2 others like this

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

I fear for group 4, no matter what choice they make.

That was a pretty legitimate statement not long ago in Lochfort. It's interesting that only two of the current characters went through that entire event (poor Karen had to split time between two characters to make it through, so that might be worse). The group has changed a lot since then, but I suspect Sora still has the same "save the world" attitude and will not settle for anything too tame for the group to take on next.

I'm curious to see what else they find in the house. A fun plot twist could be that it ends up being Patrick Grace's old house or some other NPC. I don't think it could be Fie's mom's house, but I can just imagine Jason "The Manipulator" Massey having some bit of evidence planted in the house that stirs up trouble for someone.

• varla30 and MichaelJ like this

MichaelJ

MichaelJ

Brightport Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

I absolutely LOVED this episode! I know a lot of you guys don't really care for the "talky" ones. But to me, that's where we get the most character development. And the characters are what I love most about this show, and indeed, about D&D in general.

Okay, first off: THAT'S what they get with a 5?!? Jesus H. Murphy! What would they have gotten with a one?!?

I'll bet it would've gone something like this: Peepose leads them to an outhouse that is overflowing, flies buzzing all around it, and says, "Ta-Daaaaaa!" A beat of silence, and then, "Oh, I get it. It's a bit of a fixer-upper. And don't worry about that ticking sound. I'm sure it'll stop eventually."

I'm really looking forward to hearing what path they take...I personally want to see the slavers taken out.  But I'll be happy without whatever happens :-)

I'm rooting for Group 4 taking on the slavers at some point, also. But it sounds like Overwatch (can't wait to call it Overdale) needs some work done  INSIDE the walls, too.

For example, I don't imagine Group 4 will have to wait too long before they get to meet the neighbours.

Knock, knock!

"Yes?"

"You live here?"

"Yes, we just moved in."

"Get the FUCK OUT!!!"

As for the arena, I can't believe nobody suggested converting it into an in-the-round theatre. I mean, why not some form of entertainment that is a bit less blood, and bit more...fun? I seem to recall that Bottomless Joy is playing in Winterhaven. Or we could continue to go with the sports arena theme and set up mixed-race football games. I hear there are a LOT of spare warforged heads that would probably make great footballs.

But here's what is bothering me. Jason never forgets. Organized crime took a serious hit 17 years ago. The execution of the Black Hand left a void in Overdale. And over time, Carter would have created an environment of terror that would not leave any room for any kind of criminal activity...that was not sanctioned by the State. Sometimes you just need to hire an assassin, right? I mean, I know they had plenty of killers in the Overwatch army. And they obviously didn't have any problems with the public lynching of sweet, little old ladies. But sometimes even Carter would want to have something taken care of..."off the books." Now when the Alliance swept through the city, I'm sure the criminal element tucked in and hid until the smoke cleared. I mean, that's kinda what they do. And now, there is a constant, general air of confusion and uncertainty that is fertile soil for a spanking new crime family to take over. By any chance, did the Black Hand have a kid brother?

I think Overwatch/dale needs a sheriff. I'm imagining Wyatt Earp with a battle axe. But until the train brings the Earp family to Tombstone, maybe Group 4 would like to help establish law and order?

I picture a drow arriving from a recent visit to Esterholt. He marches straight into Queen Bryos' office and says (in Jason's creepiest voice), "It's a nice town you've got here. Be a shame if somethin' were to--happen to it..."

• varla30 likes this

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,160 posts

Finally got to listen to this one and enjoyed it a lot. 

Some thoughts:

Yes, I hate you Jason :P Now, how do you spell Peepo Gloryhole? lol

For reals, no hate. 

After the last couple of episodes this was a tame, kind of silly, yet still moving the plot forward talky. I loved the asides after the 5 was rolled with rampant speculation of all the ways Peepo would die while cooking pancakes. 

The fact that Avalan/Zach seemed to be on mute except to deliver timely comments made them more potent "what's a pancake?", "but I live in a castle!" and the accidental intimidate were super. 

I can also see Avalan taking up residence in the creeper basement of the house, making it even creepier. 

My first thought on the using of the arena was "state fair!" and it kind of went that way, so yay me! 

I also have faith that Jason can fill Overwatch with excitement. If you recall G3 getting to Esterholt and being relatively trapped there searching Darmock's house while Una recovered, it wasn't uneventful.

• Chancellor, varla30 and Orden_Kingshield like this

D & R Wiki worker. A work in progress...  Suggestions accepted. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Calluna Vulgaris

Calluna Vulgaris

Talking Tree

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • @CommonHeather

I really enjoyed this episode! Everyone else covered all the points I would've made, aside from one: Y'ALL GOT A PUPPY!!!!!!! I love Heinrich and I wish nothing but the best for him. And the rest of G4, of course... But mostly Heinrich.

Very much unrelated, but it's been two days and I can't stop thinking about this damn meme every time someone brings up G4's other new pal.

tumblr_nx5xwyqpn41szv0l9o1_500.jpg

• Kelsey, Chancellor, varla30 and 1 other like this

Klambo

Klambo

Durnhollow Stable Cleaner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Random side note Avalan is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters - please dont die.

On a more related note it was nice to have a Group Four episode where we could just breathe I look forward to see where this story goes.

• Chancellor and varla30 like this

Xanthan1981

Xanthan1981

Durnhollow Stable Cleaner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Ever since listening to the episode, all I have been thinking about is Therian sports, which is weird because I hate sports. I keep coming back to a sort of hybrid of Chinese Checkers (6ish teams playing in a star shaped pattern) and Pro-bending from Korra. 

A ball or item (doesn't really matter what, it could change each time)  is fought for by the different teams, using full (non lethal) combat with the goal of moving the item to a scoring zone by any means necessary. 

the scoring zone is protected by magic users (1 or 2 from each team) who are not allowed to touch the item/ Ball and have to control the environment through magic. and prevent opposing teams from scoring.  the mages can protect any zone to prevent any other team from scoring.

Maybe then have a point system for players (like wheelchair Rugby/ Murder ball). A a very basic system initially:

1 point  - Halflings and Gnomes

2 points - Human. 

3 points - elf and dwarf is worth

4 points - Tiefling

5 points -  Goliath and Minatour

You can have a team of 21 points (all team members including up to 2 magic users must come from the 21 points)

A more complex system could then could be expanded to an Individual player points based on a range of factors.

That way different strategies could be applied - Beat-down teams have large players to dominate the field, but they would be limited to a few players.  eg. 4 minatours (5) and a gnome sorcerer (1) [4x5=20 +1]. In contrast, a team of a lot of smaller faster players utilizing numbers and different race/trait skills (8 halflings (8), 2 elves (6) a goliath (5) and a human (2) [ 8+6+5+2=21] and can be as effective.  On field substitutions can occur, but no more than 21 points on the field at a time.

The chuck 6 different teams in a variety of different environments into the giant arena and let the chaos happen. Overwatch residents get "Safe" (well non lethal, hopefully) violence with something exciting to watch; team variations would promote different races working together for a common goal. Team strategy and flexibility to strengths and weaknesses of opponents  becomes as important as the actual fighting in the arena. 

Just a thought.

• varla30 and MichaelJ like this

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Ever since listening to the episode, all I have been thinking about is Therian sports

Yeah this was my surprise takeaway from this episode as well. I'd be very interested in a LIT Therian Sports and Games. Like, gambling has been brought up a few times (mostly by Malchus). What do people gamble on? Dice games, card games, cockfighting? Are there any sports that are popular across the continent? Are there leagues? What about sports, games, and/or competitions specific to particular cities, cultures or races? There's got to be at least one with an interesting (/weird) origin behind it.

As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was a good listen. I like the new NPC facilitator and everyone's reactions to him. Avalan is starting to make sense to me as a character (as in, he's not just a creeper), and Ephany was more vocal as well. The house was a cool gift, though in the past groups haven't fared well with a "home base". I'm curious what they'll choose to do going forward.

• varla30 likes this

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Yeah this was my surprise takeaway from this episode as well. I'd be very interested in a LIT Therian Sports and Games. Like, gambling has been brought up a few times (mostly by Malchus). What do people gamble on? Dice games, card games, cockfighting?

Hmm... Better keep the pup away from Avalan. He seems to have odd ideas about ways to make a bit of money and could end up incurring the wrath of Calluna...

• Chancellor likes this

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 569 posts
  • United States

Finally got to listen to this one and enjoyed it a lot. 

Some thoughts:

Yes, I hate you Jason :P Now, how do you spell Peepo Gloryhole? lol

For reals, no hate. 

After the last couple of episodes this was a tame, kind of silly, yet still moving the plot forward talky. I loved the asides after the 5 was rolled with rampant speculation of all the ways Peepo would die while cooking pancakes. 

The fact that Avalan/Zach seemed to be on mute except to deliver timely comments made them more potent "what's a pancake?", "but I live in a castle!" and the accidental intimidate were super. 

I can also see Avalan taking up residence in the creeper basement of the house, making it even creepier. 

My first thought on the using of the arena was "state fair!" and it kind of went that way, so yay me! 

I also have faith that Jason can fill Overwatch with excitement. If you recall G3 getting to Esterholt and being relatively trapped there searching Darmock's house while Una recovered, it wasn't uneventful.

It's "Peepos Quinton". :)

• Steve the Wiki Guy likes this

Vik

Vik

Nu-Val Hired Goon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Couldn't agree with this more. It's amazing to me that the show has gone this long without any of the groups actively trying to do ANYTHING about slavery save for the somewhat sad attempt that G1 did so long ago.

I think it's one reason I've been enjoying G4 so much, their stories have been about tackling smaller issues that aren't really world threatening.

Also I didn't actually get caught up with G4 until after the werewolf arc so I was wondering how everyone felt about G4 starting out? Personally the whole werewolf thing just felt drawn out and miserable. It's why I really enjoy the lighter tone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Group 4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users