Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Yet Another New Listener Marathon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Regendur

Regendur

Durnhollow Stable Cleaner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello Therians!

I'm a new listener who started the podcast back in September last year all the way back at Episode 1. Mostly because hey, where else do you start a podcast? Also, I saw I would have plenty of content to last me. So it has! I'm chronologically working my way through the feed and delved into the written articles and journals on the site as well as the Youtube content. Finally, recently I subbed to Patreon as well and will work my way through as much content as I can there! 

I just finished Episode 122 - Bad Moon, and ohh man, I just had to share some thoughts.

So much through the feed so far has been amazing, but to keep the reading short, I'll just bullet point some highlights:

• Meat on the Taaable! I still chant that sometimes from the 1st Tournament of Champions.
  • Group 1 really getting into the debate at the Treaty signing, then the intense fight with Drock in his tomb. I could really see the visuals with each attack and especially the brutal kicks over the throne!
  • The brilliant twist of time jumping and building the world around it
  • Gathering an army Dragon Age-style for a showdown while other groups emerge
  • The gauntlet of pain Group 2 went through for the longest time involving an undead horde, unicorns, werewolves and trolls [well, troll] and the heartbreak with it
  • Group 3 who I initially hated and even cheered when Fie died at Bri's crit, but ended up growing to love the characters and even taking inspiration from them for my own
  • The incredible heartbreak when Briahna died accidentally at the horns of Yenward, and the solemn silence that punctuated it
  • Triumph at the Siege of Overwatch, how tense and exciting that whole battle was! Once again, excellent visuals and foley work to set the imagination.
  • The epic battle with Straad, the intense emotions with Una striking the eye, Bri rocking the city with power and blasting apart Straad from within
  • The incredible journey of Jadzia fighting through her abusive past and renewing herself with her soul and with finding her love with Vallus
  • Duncan going through his own journey of gaining respect and purging his turbulent past
  • An amazing episode 100 which brought together so many elements of the show

Even in that, I've missed going over so much growth and amazing moments, and not to mention the inspiration for this post... Gods, I love how perfectly Jason set the reveal at the end of part 1! How the question of the afterlife was teased so long, and now the story is thrown headfirst over the cliff into the realm of divinity. I can't wait to hear how it plays out across Theria, and I'm sure it must tie into more recent episodes too!

Speaking of which, I am so proud of the cast and everyone helping to make Episode 200 become a reality! I can't wait to hear it, and I bet it will make an excellent capstone to this long journey. After all, I've still got a ways to go!

I'll post in this thread every so often just to share more thoughts as I keep plugging along, but otherwise, thanks for reading!

~Reg

• Kelsey, Aaron Good, Steve the Wiki Guy and 8 others like this

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 583 posts
  • United States
Welcome to the forums! Really hope you enjoy your stay and thank you so much for listening to the show and supporting us. :)

Please, keep letting us know what you think.
  • kumokurin and Regendur like this

That guy who writes for that show.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,178 posts

king of which, I am so proud of the cast and everyone helping to make Episode 200 become a reality! I can't wait to hear it, and I bet it will make an excellent capstone to this long journey. After all, I've still got a ways to go!

This post is funny in that there is another that popped up overnight as well but it was essentially "your podcast is 'meh'" lol. 

I agree with your points, keep on listening and you won't be disappointed. And yes, 200 does cap the first 200 shows in epic ways. 

Now get back to listening, you have like 400 more hours to go! :P

D & R Wiki worker. A work in progress...  Suggestions accepted. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Hey feel free to keep posting your thoughts to this thread as you listen. That's what I did when I was marathoning to catch up. It's fun to get reactions to what you're listening to, and people are very good about not hitting you with spoilers.

Irishkatana

Irishkatana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I've been bad about my marathon. I've been skipping all the GMTs and mailbags, patreon, and everything just to catch up. I'm currently on 180 and I'm dying to know everything.

Also we all know the best part was the Natural 1 Bri rolled when punching Una.

• MichaelJ likes this

Regendur

Regendur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Checking in again! Hah, that crit 1 that Bri rolled with the thundering storm... ah, such a fantastic moment. I love, love the visuals in that scene!

I'm now up to listening to Episode 132, and so much has happened with Group 2 and 4! My gods, poor Group 4... Lochfort is absolutely terrifying. I'm always on the edge of my seat when listening to them, and I powered through a lot of content on a recent roadtrip. Definitely kept me alert and on edge! Everyone did an incredible job of setting the scene, from Jason with the hunting atmosphere of the fog and all the sounds, (they should have turned around to report back at the cave they stayed at before Lochfort! That werewolf was spine-shivering!) to Ingrid and Jo fighting off panic in the attic, to the kids still surviving... Considering I can only bet 132 is the resolution to this whole mess, wow. Can't wait to listen.

Also Group 2 sailing north and speeding along with the luck of the wind, and oh, the heartache when they wanted to "make it interesting" by going through the glacier field! I just could feel it in my bones that the dice luck would turn sour, and I know of so many arctic expeditions that go wrong in real life, and knowing Jason... he'd put the research in, and that he did. Jagged icebergs and arctic storms... agh, that poor, beautiful ship! I really hope I hear they put the effort in to repair it and treat her right, as that ship is, as mentioned at the end where they limp into Frost Cove, priceless.

The inbetween content was fun, too. Listening to Jason and Bri give answers after the first DragonCon was very insightful. I was wondering why more dice rolls were being cut out of episodes, but knowing that it's intentional for building tension and story is understandable, though mildly disappointing. I liked having them as context for how the character was doing, like if they just flubbed entirely on an easy check or if they were so close and the task was harder than it looked. I mean, the game is there as the root for developing the story... ah well, tangent. Oh, the Wedding Roundtable at Jamie's wedding was fantastic! Everyone sounded like they were having a great time and was really fun to get in the heads of La'Ron and Val. I do feel like Coal is being very overprotective and runs contrary to the group's purpose quite often, but I still like the character as an anchor for G4. I feel like perhaps without him, the party would get too reckless, even if endeavoring to help make the world a better place. Either way, I'm on the edge of my seat, wondering who's going to make it out of the attic...

Oh! I can't believe Duncan left so suddenly from Group 1... I can only imagine Dan had personal things come up, and I hope for the best for him. I regret that I didn't get to hear the outcome of that backstory with his bandit father, I feel like that could have been quite interesting. Hopefully it comes up in future episodes, but either way, it'll be interesting to hear how Yenward and Diana play out contacting the Drow in Fairbay... (bunch of dicks for taking the dragon scales!) Also Malchus is a grumpy gill and Theo is a dork and I love them both.

It's been a while since Group 3 has done much after the swamp, other than the one episode of deciding how Briahna would stay or go, and Una fighting Po over it, that was fun. I was said though respectful of Jadzia's decision to stick to her guns and retire with Vallus, just providing sideline help to the group. I hope everything goes well for them, but I definitely worry about her being dragged back in with the impending demon situation... On the other hand, Craig listening to Khorey tell him he was a god was great, and I can't wait to hear how that plays out. Hope that Group 3 gets their spot in the feed soon!

Still having a blast listening, and lots more to come.

• kumokurin and Generic Fighter like this

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 553 posts

You know, the listener marathon has become such a common thread, I'm wondering if I should make a new sub-forum just for those? Not to hide them or anything, but it might be cool to have sort of a treasure trove of reactions and it might encourage more people to go through it?

What do you guys think?

Also, I hope you continue to enjoy the show!! You're so close to being caught up!!

• Kelsey, Rimewind, Generic Fighter and 1 other like this

tumblr_mll5i8iAaq1rrftcdo1_500.gif

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always the kettenhund.

Rimewind

Rimewind

Official Autobot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

You know, the listener marathon has become such a common thread, I'm wondering if I should make a new sub-forum just for those? Not to hide them or anything, but it might be cool to have sort of a treasure trove of reactions and it might encourage more people to go through it?

What do you guys think?

Also, I hope you continue to enjoy the show!! You're so close to being caught up!!

I'm the kind of person who has ten layers of files on their computer. So I would love this.

MichaelJ

MichaelJ

Brightport Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

I've been bad about my marathon. I've been skipping all the GMTs and mailbags, patreon, and everything just to catch up. I'm currently on 180 and I'm dying to know everything.

Also we all know the best part was the Natural 1 Bri rolled when punching Una.

My favourite moment on the show, too! But Una facing down Strad is a pretty close second.

However, I would strongly advise that you do go back and listen to the GMTs, and especially the mailbag episodes. There are some very important clarifications that are given in those episodes. Some are just behind the scenes explanations that show what the cast members were thinking at the time, but some will explain things that didn't come through very clearly on the show, either because we couldn't see something the cast members were looking at or because there was a line or two that ended up on the cutting room floor.

Mostly, I just really envy you, the journey.  :) 

ronjon

ronjon

Aubrey healer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

What do you guys think?

I don't think the site gets enough traffic/threads to necessitate the need for the extra sub-forum.  Organizationally, I get it.  However, I think they're more likely to get lost in sub-forums and never seen than cluttering up this main forum.  When we get enough traffic here that active threads start falling off the first page, that's when I'd think about creating a sub-forum for it.

• Steve the Wiki Guy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users