Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Disappointed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Lingcod

Lingcod

Durnhollow Stable Cleaner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Love podcast but needs more editing. Don't want to spend 20 minutes discussing how everone feels about everything for 5 minutes story. perception rolls are obsolete. By numbers party almost always perceive, wasted time and sucks for story telling. started to listen to last couple podcast then just deleted, garbage. Contrary but think first episodes were best. If you listen your heroes try to avoid challenge, relieved when d20 rolls high. great adventure? Last 50 or so episodes conflict encounters aren't challenging. Will continue to listen and subscribe...
  • capedMaf, crobekew and LizaWejems like this

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,160 posts

What parts of the show do you like? What makes you keep listening? 

I don't mean to say "well just stop listening then!" because i'd never suggest that, i just mean, you've been disappointed by the mechanics, editing and roleplay so i'm curious what has hooked you?

D & R Wiki worker. A work in progress...  Suggestions accepted. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Sounds to me like you want more old-school D&D gameplay, which is a legit thing to expect from a D&D podcast. That being said, I think you're evaluating this show based on what you want it to be, not necessarily based on what it is. It's not really fair (or nice) to call something garbage because it isn't the thing you wanted.

The way I see it, the podcast has evolved over the years, and now is more of a storytelling format that uses D&D mechanics as a means to that end, whereas some other D&D podcasts use the story as a vehicle for the gameplay.

Different strokes for different folks, brother.

• Aaron Good, Pennykettle, TCKnight and 3 others like this

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Love podcast but needs more editing. Don't want to spend 20 minutes discussing how everone feels about everything for 5 minutes story. perception rolls are obsolete. By numbers party almost always perceive, wasted time and sucks for story telling. started to listen to last couple podcast then just deleted, garbage. Contrary but think first episodes were best. If you listen your heroes try to avoid challenge, relieved when d20 rolls high. great adventure? Last 50 or so episodes conflict encounters aren't challenging. Will continue to listen and subscribe...

I think the comments here aren't unreasonable but language may possibly play a part in how it sounds. First "Love podcast" says why Lingcod would keep listening. A lot of us like the podcast and keep listening. As for "needs more editing" a lot of folks seem to have liked episode 200 that had a good bit of editing, including descriptions moving between scenes that seem to have been popular. "20 minutes discussing / 5 minutes story" -- seems there has been some discussion here about pacing and some agreement that it will be improved. And I'd kind of agree on having the entire party roll perception; odd are someone will get a good roll. I'm not sure how to address that but it seems like something to consider. Not too sure about the "last couple of episodes" / "garbage"; perhaps Lingcod could elaborate on that. I'm also rather fond of the early episodes where it was just fun listening to a raucous group play D&D, and Duncan's decent in episode 6 is still by far the funniest thing that's happened in D&R. But of course things evolve and I don't think someone saying "Love podcast" and "Will continue to listen and subscribe" is saying the podcast isn't any good any more and is hopefully trying to provide some constructive criticism.

Finally, I think that Jason intentionally toned down conflict / monsters in latter episodes. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it might feel like things are dragging on without too much happening. Again, that's been addressed before. I'll say again that the whole "Legend of Lockfort" story with Group 4 was really fantastic, with high tension, extremely difficult life and death decisions, acts of true bravery, etc. We haven't seen anything at that level since, including episode 200 in my opinion which I certainly liked. Not everything can be at the same level of intensity, or have the same focus at all times so it's good to have some variation. We'll see in a few weeks / months how things shift moving into the next set of episodes.

So, Lingcod, welcome to the forums! I hope you'll keep listening, and keep commenting. I'll look forward to future discussions about the episodes with you and may agree or disagree, but hopefully in a civil discussion!

• varla30 likes this

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

And I'd kind of agree on having the entire party roll perception; odd are someone will get a good roll. I'm not sure how to address that but it seems like something to consider. 

I couldn't point to exactly where, but I'm 99% certain this was addressed somewhere in the Patreon feed. My understanding is that Perception rolls won't be called for nearly as often.

• kumokurin likes this

kumokurin

kumokurin

The Kenliest Ken who ever Ken'd

• Moderators
  • 2,464 posts

I couldn't point to exactly where, but I'm 99% certain this was addressed somewhere in the Patreon feed. My understanding is that Perception rolls won't be called for nearly as often.

The live stream about changes was posted in the main feed, and it is mentioned that perception will be all passive in the future unless someone is making a deliberate effort to look for something.

• Rimewind and Bad Neighbor like this

Unofficially official member of the Positivity League

Join us on the non-patreon Discord!
https://discord.gg/6263nwj

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

The live stream about changes was posted in the main feed, and it is mentioned that perception will be all passive in the future unless someone is making a deliberate effort to look for something.

That sounds like a good solution. I probably even "heard it" but my passive perception didn't pick it up and record it for me!

• kumokurin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users