Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

GMT 104

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Ahh this one is right up my alley but I may not get through it for a while. Watching stand up's is something I do a LOT but I honestly don't know who most of the newish people are. 

Comedians I listen to or watch a lot in no real order:

Patton Oswalt

Titus

Jim Jefferies

Bill Burr

Louis CK

Lewis Black

I notice I like kind of screamy comics, but most are also story tellers and i'm into that more than jokey folks.

I used to love George Carlin and saw him live 3 or 4 times. The last time I saw him was maybe 6 or 8 months before he died and it was just a lot of angry old man which made me sad. We saw Gallagher live 8 or 10 years ago and it was really similar, pretty sad. 

Yes, I did enjoy Gallagher's humor, the sledge-o-matic stuff not so great. My father introduced me to his comedy in like the 80's so it stuck with me. 

Bad comics, I really don't know a lot either but Dane Cook...wow. I never got the appeal and have suffered through maybe 3 specials and don't ever recall laughing. 

I would also add in, puppet comics. I know Jeff Dunham is super popular but I just can't take it. 

So, lets hear some opinions, maybe some people will be introduced to some new funny folks they didn't know about before. 

• capedMaf, Antoinegene, Coditeesync and 2 others like this

D & R Wiki worker. A work in progress...  Suggestions accepted. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 562 posts

I need to catch up to the new peeps. We didn't talk about this part, but I feel like I've fallen behind now that my media-watching time has been so ruthlessly slimmed down. The only time I have to watch television or movies is an hour or two before bed, and I treat that time like it's the most precious thing in the world. I should use it watching new comics and things like that, and I will soon. If anyone could suggest any comedians that aren't brought up in the GMT you think Jason and/or I would like, please let us know!

Also, I'm just gonna throw this out here... Simon Amstell's special is on youtube in its entirety, and it's only an hour long. I'm not saying watch it for free, because that would be wrong. But just remember:

So you should watch adorable English comedians with dark senses of humor.

(Also if youtube's algorithm is on point, the full special should be one of the suggested videos right after that 12 second clip.)

tumblr_mll5i8iAaq1rrftcdo1_500.gif

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always the kettenhund.

varla30

varla30

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

These are old! You guys might not appreciate these - Very British lol loved this comedienne growing up, she did sketch shows, tv series, toured with a live show etc

Haven't finished the gmt yet but i will be checking out the comedians you guys like - I am well out of date with them!!

varla30

varla30

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

love this guy too :)

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I haven't listened to this episode yet but standup comedy is something I used to listen to constantly, and I still return to it from time to time. I just watched the new Louis CK "2017" special a couple nights ago, and the return of Dave Chappelle before that. 

My all-time favorite was George Carlin. 

MichaelJ

MichaelJ

Brightport Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

I love George Carlin. I love Janeane Garofalo.

But my all-time favourite stand-up comic is a guy by the name of Bill Hicks. Bri, you might remember him from issue 31 of Preacher. Unfortunately, the very first introduction I had to his existence was in this posthumous (meaning, yeah, I missed him completely) documentary:

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 562 posts

So fun story: I was in the shower two days ago and then whispered to myself "Eddie Izzard... FUCK."

I'm SO angry that I forgot to mention him. He's a cutie.

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 591 posts
  • United States
I have thought of at least five more comedians that I wish we would've mentioned. However, I bet it would've been a three hour show if we just kept going lol.

That guy who writes for that show.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

That's what this thread is for :P

Bri had mentioned that Titus had become kind of a right winger, which is far from true but he did have a special or 2 that went political and angry. 2 of his last 3 were really good just story telling specials. I know the show he is working on now is going to be very political and probably very anti Trump but I see a lot of near future comedy going that way. 

Also, the 2 new Dave Chapelle shows on Netflix are good. The first is the better of the 2 (IMO) I think but that guy just has funny in his blood. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 562 posts

That's what this thread is for :P

Bri had mentioned that Titus had become kind of a right winger, which is far from true but he did have a special or 2 that went political and angry. 2 of his last 3 were really good just story telling specials. I know the show he is working on now is going to be very political and probably very anti Trump but I see a lot of near future comedy going that way. 

Also, the 3 new Dave Chapelle shows on Netflix are good. The first is the better of the 2 (IMO) I think but that guy just has funny in his blood. 

Actually, that was Jason. I haven't seen any of Titus's stuff since Love is Evol and haven't followed him on social media. I have heard one 'bit' of his on pandora that I skipped because he sounded like he was just ranting angry instead of funny.

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 591 posts
  • United States

Last one I saw was "Neverlution". It came off as more angry at the "younger generation" type of thing. That was just my take on it though. 

That guy who writes for that show.

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

I don't think I've seen anything by Titus in ten years. Mostly forgettable in my opinion. 

Thinking back to other stand-up specials I've watched recently, I did enjoy Patton Oswalt's Talking for Clapping and Trevor Noah's Afraid of the Dark.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Actually, that was Jason. I haven't seen any of Titus's stuff since Love is Evol and haven't followed him on social media. I have heard one 'bit' of his on pandora that I skipped because he sounded like he was just ranting angry instead of funny.

My bad! 

I kind of forgot about him for a while but have been listening to his podcast for the past couple of years. 

Either way, kind of sad when people and comedians they like grow in different directions, but we can all hate on puppet guys, amiright? :D 

just kidding, like who ya like and own it. 

• JadziaGrace and Bad Neighbor like this

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

just kidding, like who ya like and own it. 

Unless it's Larry the Cable Guy.

• JadziaGrace likes this

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 562 posts

There were entire 20-minute segments of his bits that I didn't think were in English until my family assured me they were. I was a child, but even as an adult I have no clue what that man was saying 50% of the time. Though when I see him in commercials it looks like he's started enunciating more. Not that that helps the actual "comedy", but yeah. Fun story. Thought he was speaking an entirely different language.

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

There were entire 20-minute segments of his bits that I didn't think were in English until my family assured me they were. I was a child, but even as an adult I have no clue what that man was saying 50% of the time. Though when I see him in commercials it looks like he's started enunciating more. Not that that helps the actual "comedy", but yeah. Fun story. Thought he was speaking an entirely different language.

I'm embarrassed to admit that there was a short period of time in which I thought I liked the Blue Collar comedy guys. Then I kinda realized each of them has one joke that they just beat to death, and moved on to better things.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Fun fact. Larry is from a town near Orlando called Sanford. I saw him at a tiny ass club probably 20 years ago, maybe 20 people in the room before he blew up. He used to call into a local morning radio show and do stupid updates and that's where the Larry the Cable Guy character came from. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users