Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Living in Theria: Orcs!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 557 posts

Hey guys! Rather than making a new twitter poll this month, Jason and I figured we'd just start with the runner-up from last months poll: Orcs! Please post all of your questions here, and we'll try to get to all of them as best as we can!

• Antoinegene likes this

tumblr_mll5i8iAaq1rrftcdo1_500.gif

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always the kettenhund.

TCKnight

TCKnight

Winterhaven Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Soooo many questions. Gonna pull a Kelsey here:

1) If I remember correctly, the orcs are from Ta'lor. Were they the initial conflict that got the Lionfolk and Githzeri to start fighting? In other words, they expelled the orcs and then mutually thought, "You know what? I don't like you either."

2) Are orcs strictly carnivores, vegetarian, or will they nibble on anything they find?

3) What variation of skin color do orcs have? Are they strictly green or do they have multiple shades like humans do?

4) Are humans the only species that orcs can produce viable offspring with? Are there any instances of half-orcs derived from other races?

5) Do the orcs worship the standard pantheon? If so, who? If not, what do they revere that fits the definition of a religion?

6) What is the status of female orcs in their society?

7) How are children cared for or not cared for?

8) How did the orcs get to the mainland?

9) Were the orcs immediately hostile upon landing on the mainland, or was this a trait they developed as they adjusted to the many competing races there?

10) Who are the most notable orcs in their culture? I am referring to the legendary leaders that all the orcs and even other races point to as the prime example of "THAT was quite an orc!"

11) Are there any outward symbols of rank within orc society? Will different markings or colors indicate a particular caste that the orc is assigned to until they've earned a spot at the next level?

Edit:

Addendum

12) Orcs seem largely insular as a culture, with few groups seen outside the context of the larger body of the orc people. Is this by choice or is it a factor of most other races being inclined to murder those orcs they find to be an easy kill?

13) How old could an orc live to be if it isn't murdered by one of their people or a roving band of adventurers?

14) Is the group of orcs that Groups 1 and 4 negotiated with a splinter group or representative of the main body of the orc people?

• MichaelJ likes this

TCKnight

TCKnight

Winterhaven Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Gee... I really hope people are asking their questions elsewhere, like the Discord server. Feeling a little self-conscious, but anyway:

15) How large is the population of orcs? With all the fighting, both internally and from other races, how have they not been eroded into a small, inconsequential band?

16) What do orcs do with their captives and do they value captives of some races more than other races?

17) Are there any legendary orc weapons?

• ronjon likes this

ronjon

ronjon

Aubrey healer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Gee... I really hope people are asking their questions elsewhere, like the Discord server. Feeling a little self-conscious, but anyway:

15) How large is the population of orcs? With all the fighting, both internally and from other races, how have they not been eroded into a small, inconsequential band?

I've been struggling to come up with questions.  Building off you're question there, what is the gestational period and how long does it take an orc to grow to a fighting age.  Are they born out of the mud ready to fight AKA Lord of the Rings style, or do they need years to come of age?

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Yeah, there are a LOT of questions on the Discord server. That has really divided the communications about things which i think is a bit unfortunate because folks not contributing to Patreon are excluded. I generally like the forums better for posting questions / comments because it tends to get people to think a bit more rather than just typing out a quick sentence. I think it would be easier for all involved to handle questions like this only in the forums so they are in one place and easy to review for duplicates before posting and easy to find / gather up. The questions on Discord tend to be intermingled with comments (well, something like this one here to be honest, although I am trying to make a salient point).

• ronjon likes this

JadziaGrace

JadziaGrace

Defender of Cal-Cas

• Administrators
  • 557 posts

Yeah, there are a LOT of questions on the Discord server. That has really divided the communications about things which i think is a bit unfortunate because folks not contributing to Patreon are excluded. I generally like the forums better for posting questions / comments because it tends to get people to think a bit more rather than just typing out a quick sentence. I think it would be easier for all involved to handle questions like this only in the forums so they are in one place and easy to review for duplicates before posting and easy to find / gather up. The questions on Discord tend to be intermingled with comments (well, something like this one here to be honest, although I am trying to make a salient point).

The only reason the questions are posted on the discord as well is out of request from a few people. :) They said it was easier to knew when the questions were asked, and more handy for them to post on the discord server than the forums (because the discord tends to work better on cell phones). At first I was hesitant because the discord server has many, many chat rooms and I didn't like the idea of adding more, but it has lead to having a lot more questions for the episodes, so I'm happy with the outcome!

And to be very clear- no one is being excluded. All the questions from both areas are taken and used. Just in case anyone read that and thought patreon people were getting a better deal (though people can't even listen to the LiT without being patreons, so anyone who would get the answers to these questions would also probably be on the discord server, but I know some people ask questions because they hope that one day they'll be able to hear the answers when they are able to help support, and I didn't want those folks to think we were shafting them).

It's no different from when we were also using our Facebook page, really. Also, the people on discord have been very receptive to not posting random comments in with the questions they had. I mean, as you said in your post (and not trying to, like, call you out or anything DSheeks! Just teasing!) but with the addition of these two comments that aren't questions about orcs, there's now more intermingled comments on this forum than the discord servers Living in Theria thread. :P

• TCKnight likes this

tumblr_mll5i8iAaq1rrftcdo1_500.gif

That's my secret, Cap. I'm always the kettenhund.

TCKnight

TCKnight

Winterhaven Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

The only reason the questions are posted on the discord as well is out of request from a few people. :) They said it was easier to knew when the questions were asked, and more handy for them to post on the discord server than the forums (because the discord tends to work better on cell phones). At first I was hesitant because the discord server has many, many chat rooms and I didn't like the idea of adding more, but it has lead to having a lot more questions for the episodes, so I'm happy with the outcome!

And to be very clear- no one is being excluded. All the questions from both areas are taken and used. Just in case anyone read that and thought patreon people were getting a better deal (though people can't even listen to the LiT without being patreons, so anyone who would get the answers to these questions would also probably be on the discord server, but I know some people ask questions because they hope that one day they'll be able to hear the answers when they are able to help support, and I didn't want those folks to think we were shafting them).

It's no different from when we were also using our Facebook page, really. Also, the people on discord have been very receptive to not posting random comments in with the questions they had. I mean, as you said in your post (and not trying to, like, call you out or anything DSheeks! Just teasing!) but with the addition of these two comments that aren't questions about orcs, there's now more intermingled comments on this forum than the discord servers Living in Theria thread. :P

Thanks for the response, Bri. I only joked about being self-conscious because I (personally) find it easier to type out the questions on the forums. When I didn't see others asking questions here, it made my list stick out all the more. LOL. Glad this is a topic others find interesting because I've been dying to know more about the orcs in Theria.

DSheeks

DSheeks

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

True on more comments here now than on Discord (and I'm making it worse). :)

I definitely didn't mean to infer questions from any given source were excluded or given lower priority, just that non Discord users wouldn't see the questions there and might duplicate them or miss out on reading them (often one person's question can bring up another). Obviously (for those of us using it) the Discord server gets a lot of use, and I can imagine folks preferring to post there. It is a bit easier to organize things in the forums though. Always tradeoffs. Any how, based on the number of questions I've seen about Orcs ("Who knew Orcs could be so interesting") the LIT may be longer than episode 200!

Rimewind

Rimewind

Official Autobot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
1) Are the orc separated into clans? If so what are their names? What are the differences between them?

2) We've heard bits and pieces of Orc history on the main land. They seem to be a bit migratory. Is that because they tend to piss of their neighbors or is it a natural inclination.

3) What about their famous anger? Is it just a culture thing? Or are they naturally prone to rage? Do they have some messed up biology that causes it?

4) What are the various roles in their society? It can't all be constant brawls, how do they handle labor, provisioning and other societal necessitates? How do they treat the wounded and sick?

5) What are their naming conventions. Nyark tickles something in the back of my head, but I can't remember.

6) Are there Orcs that have integrated into..."civilized" society? Could I walk into Farebay one day and see an orc sipping tea and reading a book?

7) How do the orcs make their famously potent ale? If it's stronger than the dwarfs skull-splitter, what's in it? I'm asking for a friend.

8) Is there any kind of magic used by the orcs? Like shamanism or other kind of ancestral/animal worship?

9) How orcs feel about other races? Are they like the bulk of the dragonborn and think they are superior? Or will they respect anyone that shows sufficient ferocity?

10) It bugged me that my list ended at 9, so here is a completely useless question to fill in the space. What is love?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users