Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Therian Setting Book: Phase 0

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 589 posts
  • United States

Howdy everyone!

As you may know, the next big project in our pipeline will most likely be a Therian setting book. Now, this is something that is a ways off and will require tons of planning, hard work and multiple revisions. To start though, we want to know what you'd like to see in such a book. Give us a dream list of things that you want to read about, see or something else entirely. 

We can't wait to hear from you. 

• MichaelJ and Antoinegene like this

That guy who writes for that show.

Necrobecr

Necrobecr

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

By setting book, what exactly do you mean? Will it be illustrations of different settings? The history of different settings?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin

JasonDandR

JasonDandR

DM

• Administrators
  • 589 posts
  • United States

We mean a book that would allow you to run a campaign set in Theria. Character, lore, places and things like that. 

• Aaron Good likes this

That guy who writes for that show.

Necrobecr

Necrobecr

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Ok, now I am stoked for this! I think this would go without saying, but a full world map with all the major cities would be fantastic. Maybe a section with a summary of what each city is like socially, economically, and politically? I would love to see the homebrewed classes and powers (especially if this is a 5e book). And how about major historical figures, like the leaders back in the days of Drock?

I'm excited to see what you come up with, and I guarantee that if I convince friends to join me in a game again, I'm getting this!

• DannyXV likes this

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Josh from Wisconsin

DannyXV

DannyXV

Durnhollow Stable Cleaner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Definitely psions. they're kinda integral to the lore of Theria.

Draak (Drok?)'s Tomb and stuff

The dragonborn's history and info on how they got straad to not just fuck the mainland for centuries

A basic list of some of the iconic magic items w/ stats + places you can put them, (ie. Stormrender and Draak's tomb) 

How onakall (the place with slave gladiators) would have progressed without the whole zombie situation.

Questions:

Is this set in the 17years past? from the first episodes of group 1? or in the post-time skip Theria?

Would existing NPC's exist in this world, or would there just be analogs? (Julie, Bri(Bree? Brie?), 'Trent')

DannyXV

DannyXV

Durnhollow Stable Cleaner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Ok, now I am stoked for this! I think this would go without saying, but a full world map with all the major cities would be fantastic. Maybe a section with a summary of what each city is like socially, economically, and politically? I would love to see the homebrewed classes and powers (especially if this is a 5e book). And how about major historical figures, like the leaders back in the days of Drock?

I'm excited to see what you come up with, and I guarantee that if I convince friends to join me in a game again, I'm getting this!

I am also very much interested in if this is going to be a 5E book. Most of my dnd buddies only know how to play/ have the handbooks for 5E.

• Necrobecr likes this

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,189 posts

Since there was never anything officially written for 4e i'd have to assume going forward anything that comes out will be for 5e. Like they said in earlier Patreon stuff, there is no reason to go back and spend time rewriting all of the stuff in 4e, spending time to do something they will never use. 

As for the setting book, i'd guess, big world overview, continental culture and maybe some specific racial differences on them. I imagine that a lot of the show will still take place on the mainland so much more specifics on the cities, rulers, npc's of note and as much local lore as you can stuff into that sort of book. 

• MichaelJ and Necrobecr like this

D & R Wiki worker. A work in progress...  Suggestions accepted. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

I feel like it would be important to establish a timeline of major events in the world, and then determine in which year(s) the campaign setting is established. I feel like presenting the world as it is at the end of the time jump between Arc 1, Ep 200 and Arc 2, Ep 1 would be the best way to go, but you could place it anywhere on the timeline, really. I'd say you could provide information for starting in a few different places in the timeline, but that would probably multiply the workload (as well as the size & cost of the book) so maybe not.

Beyond that?

• Maps, maps, and more maps. Continents, regions, cities and towns.
  • Information about the gods of Theria and how they differ from their counterparts in other campaign settings. Some info on different religious groups around Theria, maybe, and religion in general.
  • Same as above, but for demons and Hell.
  • Major organizations. Not just political leadership of towns, but also the Houses of Brightport, the Black Hand, White Ravens, slavers, bandit's rest gangs, and so on. Notable NPCs for each.
  • Some beautiful artwork of course. You'd want someone really good for the major stuff, obviously, but a lot of campaign books use a lesser (/cheaper) artist for less important and filler illustrations.  ;)  ;)  ;)
  • Maybe a sidebar with some oddball information about Theria. The "Randomness". There's no chocolate or coffee, for example. 

I'll probably come up with more.

• MichaelJ and Necrobecr like this

ronjon

ronjon

Aubrey healer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I know it'll take quite some time to get to, but I hope this wouldn't include too much spoiler-ish type of information.

As an example, if you were going to publish the book right now, I hope it wouldn't include detailed information about the portals.  Rather, I'd hope those would be included in expansion packs as PCs uncover the secrets, maybe in annual updates or whatever.  Other examples might include other continents etc.

• Necrobecr likes this

Necrobecr

Necrobecr

Uman' Yiro Researcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

I know it'll take quite some time to get to, but I hope this wouldn't include too much spoiler-ish type of information.

As an example, if you were going to publish the book right now, I hope it wouldn't include detailed information about the portals. Rather, I'd hope those would be included in expansion packs as PCs uncover the secrets, maybe in annual updates or whatever. Other examples might include other continents etc.

Maybe this information could be found within a different section of the book clearly labeled as spoilers? That way people who want this kind of stuff included can have it, but others that want that revealed to them with the show know what to avoid
  • ronjon likes this

-Josh from Wisconsin

ronjon

ronjon

Aubrey healer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Maybe this information could be found within a different section of the book clearly labeled as spoilers? That way people who want this kind of stuff included can have it, but others that want that revealed to them with the show know what to avoid

Problem is, once it's out it's out. Stuff gets mentioned on boards and discord.

AtomicDeke

AtomicDeke

Overdale Guard Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

On the subject of spoilery bits, I'd suggest treating them like Keith Baker does with certain things in Eberron. What caused the Mourning that destroyed Cyre? I don't know, what do you think caused it? You're the DM, and it's your Eberron, so you decide for yourself. Who created the portals in Theria? Gods? Eladrin? You're the DM, it's your call to make. If an official answer comes along at a later date, maybe release some errata, or maybe don't.

As for the campaign setting, I do think it would make a lot of sense to have things up to date as far as the end of the time skip goes. Locales and their leaders, general politics and intrigue, levels of technology and infrastructure, customs and traditions, religions and lore. Maybe include organizations of note, such as monastic and knightly orders, trading outfits, noble houses, adventuring companies, and the like.

• Necrobecr likes this

Bad Neighbor

Bad Neighbor

Certified Good Neighbor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

As far as spoilers go, my personal approach would be "if you don't want spoilers, don't read this book". :P

Or at least have a special marker in sections of the book that contain spoiler-y information.

• Necrobecr likes this

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,189 posts

I'd say leave exact spoilers out, it will leave room for expansion books. I wouldn't think it would need to contain (for example) every gate location because they haven't all been found. Some things still need to be left a mystery for the show. 

I agree that maybe using the arc 1/2 break as a timeline spot for the book might be a good idea. That still is a LOT of info to cram into one book and still leaves a lot out. Think of the book like the recap episode, it's really just hitting the highlights and people can fill in some little gaps on their own. 

• Bad Neighbor and MichaelJ like this

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

TeveenBrightheart

TeveenBrightheart

Winterhaven Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

I'd say leave exact spoilers out, it will leave room for expansion books. I wouldn't think it would need to contain (for example) every gate location because they haven't all been found. Some things still need to be left a mystery for the show. 

I agree that maybe using the arc 1/2 break as a timeline spot for the book might be a good idea. That still is a LOT of info to cram into one book and still leaves a lot out. Think of the book like the recap episode, it's really just hitting the highlights and people can fill in some little gaps on their own. 

I imagine it like an actual setting book more than a "story" or campaign book. It'll give the major areas/regions/cities and maybe highlight history points, but not follow one character or group of characters. Rather "This is Aubrey, they have Clerics. The most notable clerics are XYZ for these reasons. This is it's history from YYYY to YYYY." With perhaps a map of the city and other facts about the city (population, notable figures, military, religion, etc etc). Also if it hasn't been mentioned in the episodes perhaps it could be strongly hinted at but not revealed in the book, maybe there is a portal here but it's been lost to time, or no one really uses it or something. Also including things that weren't in the show could be like easter eggs and bonus content for those that buy it. Just thoughts :)

• Steve the Wiki Guy and Necrobecr like this

Outside of these here forums, feel free to hit me up/follow me on twitter @rbswertfeger and @ShamanTeveen I promise I don't bite. If you see something happening in the RP forums, don't hesitate to jump in and play along! We're all here to have fun! Don't be shy!

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,189 posts

yeah kind of how I meant it, maybe the recap episode wasn't a good example. 

Also sleep deprived lately so there's that :P

• TeveenBrightheart and Necrobecr like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users