Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Seveneves & Other Audiobooks

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

kumokurin

kumokurin

The Kenliest Ken who ever Ken'd

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

I just finished the audiobook for Seveneves. It's really damn good. The narrator was good, but not amazing, but the story was fantastic.

The basic premise is that the moon blew up, and humanity needs to survive the impending 'hard rain.' The book mostly follows the story of the people launched up to the ISS, and it takes place in the near future.

The narrator did an ok job. The narration was good, but the way she did accents wasn't great, and an unfortunate truth with audiobooks is that most people trying to voice people of the opposite sex try to hard and it's pretty cringy, on both sides. I felt Wil Wheaton did a good job by giving them a distinct, but not overtly womanly voice, especially since most attempts to sound like a woman are the same and don't sound right at all. It would be great to have an audio play of a book for this.

The first two parts of the book are super stressful, and it's pretty doom-and-gloom, but part three becomes much less so. All around 8/10, would recommend, only problem: it's 32+ hours long. Gotta set aside some stuff to get around to it.

Anybody try any audiobooks lately? What's on the list? What was good? What was bad, and why?

I've listened to Ready Player One, and Wil killed it, top stuff. The Martian was really good and went real quick (pretty much finished in a day). After I catch up on my podcast feed, I'm going to start The Complete Heretic's Guide to Western Religion, Part One: The Mormons. A real mouthful, I know, but it seems entertaining and interesting.

• ZewInwandJeda, RossieNug, Antoinegene and 2 others like this

Unofficially official member of the Positivity League

Join us on the non-patreon Discord!
https://discord.gg/6263nwj

Kjmagle

Kjmagle

White Raven Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
My last audiobook was of my favorite Star Wars Character. Asajj Ventress. The book is based off a story that didnt get produced all the way in The Clone Wars tv show (sucha shame). The audiobook was amazing and worth it for any Clone Wars fan.

042251AF-175B-4363-921C-DEEA86082108_zps

It is pronounced "MAY-GLEE"

4LSjHdd.jpg

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,234 posts

If only there were a way to have a community library of audio books without being like...piratey :P

Recent listens were:

Felicia Days new book, read by her. It is super short, maybe 8 hours. 

I started listening to the Art of War, which isn't bad but really sounds a lot like someone reading a manual on how to fix a washing machine :P

RPO, The Martian as well and I can't agree more on either assessment. Wil crushed it. 

Martin Short's bio, read by him. 

I tried to listen to both Lena Dunham and Mindy Kaling's bio's and found both kind of boring, didn't finish either of them. 

Previous listens:

Anansi Boys, Bri's suggestion was good if a little odd. 

World War Z - Max Brooks

God No - Penn Jillette

Game of Thrones - each book is like 30+ hours....

Walking Dead - The Road to Woodbury

Bossypants - Tina Fey

Let's Make Love - Bruce Campbell...Read by Bruce Campbell. It's an interesting story :P

Modern Romance - Aziz Ansari

Assorted books by Larry Miller, Adam Carolla, Denis Leary and others. 

Probably the first audiobook I listened to was a trilogy set in a zombie world but somewhat under control. It has some political angles in the book (central characters are bloggers following a presidential candidate) but I really like the world. 

The first book is called Feed, followed by Blackout and Deadline by Mira Grant. 

I have a ton of drive time with my job so yeah, lots of listening. 

D & R Wiki worker. A work in progress...  Suggestions accepted. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

I've been meaning to listen to Felicia Day's book, I like her a lot.

As for Game of Thrones... It took me a bit just to get through Seveneves, I think I'll stick to 8-10 hour books, haha.

I have the kind of job that allows me to listen while working, and I'm always on overtime, so I can balance some audiobooks with my podcast feed. I've been meaning to pick up more books for quite awhile. Either for a good narrative, or for more productive education. It's been difficult picking podcasts to drop, but there's only so many hours :P

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,234 posts

Previously, part of my job allowed me to listen for 8-10 hours a day while either driving to a place or while working there but that side of my job will be ending in a week or so, or so I hear. 

This was the same time of year last year that allowed me to binge everything in D&R for 3 months while doing recaps for the wiki. 

I acquired the first 4 books of the Expanse series and will see how they are soon. 

Trying to be more positive...oh god...so hard to maintain.... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts
8-10 hours sounds about right. Let's me burn through the smaller booms real quick, for sure.

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

I just finished Redshirts. It's about the low ranking members of a totally-not-enterprise starship who realize that everytime an away mission happens, an ensen dies. Every time. The veterans have learned to avoid the officers at all costs and it slowly unfolds into a larger meta story about technobabble, bad writing, and how they're a part of the narrative.

TeveenBrightheart

TeveenBrightheart

Winterhaven Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Gone Girl was really good (much better than the movie I thought) and I'll second The Martian (though they did a great job on the movie). I haven't listened to too many audio books (more into podcasts as they're less scripted sounding).

Outside of these here forums, feel free to hit me up/follow me on twitter @rbswertfeger and @ShamanTeveen I promise I don't bite. If you see something happening in the RP forums, don't hesitate to jump in and play along! We're all here to have fun! Don't be shy!

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

I've been meaning to cut down on podcasts in order to get more audiobooks in. Most podcasts are pretty light, and that's nice and all, but I want a more intense narrative or something more educational. I've recently finished a series of lectures on critical thinking and it was really good.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,234 posts

Gone Girl was really good (much better than the movie I thought) and I'll second The Martian (though they did a great job on the movie). I haven't listened to too many audio books (more into podcasts as they're less scripted sounding).

I just got out to see The Martian this past weekend and it was pretty good. Not many changes from the book but they cut out a lot of the math and planning for the drives and focused on the predicament and the escape. 

Matt Damon did a great job as Watney and overall the casting was good. 

• TeveenBrightheart likes this

TeveenBrightheart

TeveenBrightheart

Winterhaven Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

I just got out to see The Martian this past weekend and it was pretty good. Not many changes from the book but they cut out a lot of the math and planning for the drives and focused on the predicament and the escape. 

Matt Damon did a great job as Watney and overall the casting was good. 

Yeah my husband and I went out to see it opening night. I was worried that they wouldn't do it justice, but I think they cut out just enough of the sciencey stuff to keep it entertaining. I was surprised that Matt Damon did a good job, I'm not normally a fan of his.

Outside of these here forums, feel free to hit me up/follow me on twitter @rbswertfeger and @ShamanTeveen I promise I don't bite. If you see something happening in the RP forums, don't hesitate to jump in and play along! We're all here to have fun! Don't be shy!

Kjmagle

Kjmagle

White Raven Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts
Well im bored with podcast for today so now it is time for this...

D7F08A48-EE6E-4DAE-9FEE-44E4B2E1F4B4_zps
  • kumokurin likes this

It is pronounced "MAY-GLEE"

4LSjHdd.jpg

Hatambosa

Hatambosa

Nu-Val Hired Goon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I recently listened to two books from the Commonwealth Saga, Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. There are about 4 more books in the series and they are all about 25-40 hours long. That's a pretty good deal if you have a monthly subscription to audible which is only about 15$ a month. They are great sci-fi books that are a bit futuristic. I purchased the void trilogy but have not listened to them yet but I'm sure they will be great as well.

Speaking of Seveneves that was actually the first audio book I purchased with audible and I agree it was a pretty good story.

Spoiler
Over all I enjoyed listening to it.

A friend from work said he has listened to The Expanse series and recommended it to me but I have not tried to listen to it yet. The tv show on the other hand is very cool and I would assume the books would be even better.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,234 posts

A friend from work said he has listened to The Expanse series and recommended it to me but I have not tried to listen to it yet. The tv show on the other hand is very cool and I would assume the books would be even better.

I saw someone has posted here and noticed i never commented on the Expanse after mentioning it. I think i was talking to Kumo about it and never put it here. 

I liked the books a lot, at least 1, 2, 3 and 5. 

Book 4 is read by some other guy and he completely sucked so I have no idea what happens in that book. I made it though the prologue and half of chapter 1 before I couldn't take his over-enunciating every syllable. 

The SyFy shows first season covers about half of book 1 and will make a ton more sense if you read/listen to the book. It was still good but there is so much backstory left out for Miller and the crew from the Cant that will fill in all of the gaps. 

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

Speaking of Seveneves that was actually the first audio book I purchased with audible and I agree it was a pretty good story.

Spoiler
Over all I enjoyed listening to it.

Spoiler

Hatambosa

Hatambosa

Nu-Val Hired Goon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks for the update steve I will have to check the books out for sure then. I did not know that kumo as I don't read a ton of books and know even less about most authors but I agree that was where the author was trying to lead the story.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,234 posts

Hey folks, I kind of wanted to revive this as I have 12 fun filled hours of plane time next month and am fresh out of audio books after finally finishing Seveneves, which I kind of forgot I had until like a month ago lol

I have to agree with all of the above about it, 75% of the book is really good but after "that part" it was just ok and lost a lot of momentum, almost becoming a whole different book. 

So any decent new recommendations? 

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

I just picked up and finished a book yesterday called "We are Legion, We are Bob"

It takes place 120 years in the future, but the prologue is in 2010 or so. An engineer named Bob founded a startup that got bought out, and he found himself with some retirement money, which he invested in as-yet-unproven cryogenics. Within a couple weeks he gets hit by a bus while at a sci-fi con (being a big nerd is a big piece of his character), and he wakes up 120 years later as an AI. His purpose? To be the controlling AI in a von Neumann Probe. The story is about Bob exploring the galaxy as he makes more Bobs. Good listen.

Steve the Wiki Guy

Steve the Wiki Guy

Protector of the Wiki

• Moderators
  • 2,234 posts

That sounds odd lol

kumokurin

kumokurin

• Moderators
  • 2,478 posts

It is. Very entertaining. The narrator is Bob himself and he's very sarcastic. It's great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users