Jump to content

Welcome to Invision Power Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Cities of Theria: Durnhollow


  • Please log in to reply
400 replies to this topic

#1
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Being the morning, and a weekday, the brothel was fairly slow this morning. Lady Griffin stood behind the bar wiping it down and straightening things from the night before. It wasn't laborsom, since it had been a slow night as well, but it gave her something to do. Lady Griffin was a voluptuous woman to be sure, thin where it mattered, but enough meat on her bones to grab. She wore a red skirt of various shades, which was a little tattered at the bottom showing its age, a black corset with red embroidery, and a white blouse that was low enough to show plenty of cleavage. Her arms were bare, showing a single tattoo on her upper right arm; a black raven with red eyes which moved magically. Many had asked about it, but she had never told where or why she had gotten it.

She looked up as the door opened, not yet ready to smile at the newcomer, since new people weren't always friendly. "Morning, what can I do for you," she asked.
  • RobertMa, AlexissPt, Ralphpon and 13 others like this

#2
Link Dasmascas

Link Dasmascas

    Nu-Val Hired Goon

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
A silhouette of a cloaked man appears at the door stoic and silent. Until he takes a few steps forward stumbling over chairs and tumbling gracefully over the table only to land but on stool face on the bar with a loud BANG!! " I'll take your strongest drink... Uuuhhh.. Wait it's morning right?! Wine, I'll take wine" his face is young but you can tell his a half-elf and far from home.

#3
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

"You look drunk already, not that it's any of my business. I'll need to see your coin first," she said stopping in front of him. she had a cheap bottle of wine, ready to pour it into a glass, but didn't want to pour it until she knew he had something to pay for the drink.



#4
Link Dasmascas

Link Dasmascas

    Nu-Val Hired Goon

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dropping a hand full of coins, he counts then looks up.. " ok I got enough for a good breakfast and I may be looking for work if I want lunch " he looks left and right. " need any work done here? I am handy with carpentry tools.. But.. Got the tools too?"

#5
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

she sighed and took the coins. "yes, this is enough for a breakfast and drink. Yes, we've always got something that needs fixing. And yes, we have tools. If you're willing to do the work, than we've got something for you. Hope you don't mind eggs and bacon. that's what we got for food right now," she said and poured him the drink he had ordered. the coins went into her pocket and she went to the back area where the kitchen was presumably. she came out minutes later with a plate full of scrambled eggs and 3 strips of hearty bacon. she set it down in front of him. "so, you know carpentry, can you fix a roof, or a fence?"



#6
Link Dasmascas

Link Dasmascas

    Nu-Val Hired Goon

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The plate is set next to an empty cup. Quinn, without looking back reaches for a strip of bacon puts in his mouth and hold it there like if it were cigar. His gaze going back-and-forth throughout the entire tavern. " I am very good at building houses I've dabbled in furniture, you'd be surprised how much you can turn a punishment into a hobby when you just go into it" he quickly turns around knocking with a rhythm on the bar "Oh and I can carve too!" He says pulling a hand carved pipe from his cape. Though no pockets can be seen on or in it. He slowly starts to fill it with tobacco pulls a dagger and a stick of cinnamon and shaved couple little flakes in the pipe then his eyes meets Lady Griffin's. With his hand opened he asks "Do you mind if I smoke?"

#7
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
"Just don't blow it in my face, then I don't care," she said as she returned to cleaning glasses and stacking them so they'd be ready for the influx of customers the night usually brings. "Well, we need a hole patched on the roof. A nasty woodpecker decided the shingles looked tasty. And the chicken cook at the back of the lot has a loose board where we think a fox might be trying to get in. We can pay 15 gold to fix both," she said.

#8
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

As Lady Griffin explained what was needed to the half-elf, a young tiefling man enters the Honest Harlet. Lady Griffin would know him as Atro Billow, a local hunter and supplier of the Harlet's meats.

 

"Good morning Lady Griffing!" he exclaimed. "I have some fresh meat from my hunt this morning. Some nice fatty venison for you and your patrons!"

 

Atro was excited with his catch, venison was hard to come by in Durnhollow and would fetch quite the price. A thought came to him as she explained her situation to the half-elf. What if he could dispatch the Harlet of these pests creating these holes.

 

"You know, before this man patches up the place, I could hunt down these pests for you. All they would is force you to pay him again and again to fix things!"


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin


#9
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

"Atro, come in. You know where to put the meat. Venison, huh? That should interest some of the travelers to spend a bit more gold," she said as she watched him enter with his catch. "How much did you want for it?"

 

She went to the end of the bar where her register sat, and a book where she marked down her sales. At the moment, they were in the black, so she could afford to purchase the good deer meat, but she'd have to get the girls to charge a few gold more if they were to stay in the black. "You welcome to hunt the fox. That chicken coop is one of the few things saving us on expenses. But I don't know if you can catch the woodpecker."

 

At that moment, the rapid tapping of beak on wood shingle rang through the room. "In fact, I'll pay you double to catch that darn thing. It's starting to eat early, and been waking employees and customers alike," she all but growled, hands on her hips and staring at the ceiling like it was what had offended her.



#10
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

"Wonderful! Well I have about 90 lbs of venison here, I would normally charge 1 gold per pound. But for you, my friend, I'll knock off 25% That'll be 67 gold and 5 silver." Atro grinned, this is the best price he's called for in a month! "Both travelers and locals will enjoy this fine meat Lady Griffin. I didn't damage a thing other than its skull, which as you can see isn't even here!"

 

"I don't think you'll have much trouble with the fox or the woodpecker for much longer ma'am. The fox should take just a day or two. But, as you alluded to, the woodpecker will cause a bit more trouble. I'll need to study it for some time first. I'll set some traps for it within the next few days, and if they don't work, an arrow should do the job just as well. Mind if I get a glass of juice, please? I'm parched from lugging this across town."


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin


#11
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

"a'corse, now take that thing to the kitchen. The help will take care of the rest," she said writing down the amount in her book and opening the register. she counted out the coin and put it in a small sack for him. "take care of the woodpecker first. We can keep the fox at bay, but i can't do a thing for that woodpecker." after bagging up his money, she poured out some fresh juice for him and set it on the counter. "juice will be here when the deer is taken care of. this one is on the house."


  • Necrobecr likes this

#12
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Atro brought the deer to the back, setting it in the food storage room and nodding to the few others in the kitchen. Upon getting back to the bar, he downs the juice quickly. "Thank you very much Lady Griffin. I cannot thank you enough for the business you give my family, and it would be my honor to help you be rid of these pests. I will start my work right away, and if I'm lucky I could potential shoot it down right now!" Atro bows to the woman and exits the Honest Harlet.

 

Outside he spies upon the roof of the building, and low and behold, he could make out just the top of the woodpeckers head. The way the roof was shaped made the shot impossible to make while the woodpecker remained where it was. He would need to wait until it decided to try a different area to get its grub.

 

(OOC: First I am going to roll a 1d6 to see how long it takes for the woodpecker to move, if it lands on a 6, the woodpecker flies away back to its nest, Atro being unable to follow it. Each other number represents 30 minutes of time before a makeable shot presents itself. If the 1d6 lands on 1-5, then I will roll a 1d20. On a result of 1-10, the arrow will go wide and merely hit the roof. 11-15 the woodpecker will be injured, unable to fly. 16-20 the woodpecker will be dealt with entirely.

 

1d6 roll = 6* [darn it])

 

After three long hours, Atro watches as the woodpecker flies off, unfortunately not giving him an opening to fire his arrow. On the other hand, its a safe bet to say that the woodpecker knows something is in that spot and would likely return to it. A trap could be laid there. He returns inside to speak with Lady Griffin.

 

"I apologize my lady, but the woodpecker flew away without giving me an opening. I have deduced that it stays in that single spot on the roof though, and with your permission, I could attempt to replace that shingle with a pressure activated cage trap. It would allow water to drip into your good place of business if it rains, but if it doesn't it all but rids yourself of the bird problem and can be fixed tomorrow."

 

(OOC: If Lady Griffin allows Atro to do so, either I can, or GriffinQueen can roll a 1d100. This will determine the weather over night to see if any further damage would be made to the roof/inside of the building. A result of 1-5 creates a rainstorm during the night, tearing off more shingles than the one and having rain pour into a room. 5-15 creates blustering winds, tearing off more shingles than the one. 15-20 creates a drizzle throughout the night, allowing water into the building. 21-100 is a clear night, no further damage occurred. I will also then roll a 1d20 to see if the trap works. Seeing as it is a simple trap, I would only need to get a 7 or above to succeed. Finally, one more 1d20 roll will determine if the woodpecker lands on the trap. 1-2, the woodpecker doesn't even show up the next day. 3-5, the woodpecker lands elsewhere on the roof. 6-20, the woodpecker lands on the trap and it triggers if the trap was made correctly)


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin


#13
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
By this time, the man she had spoken to earlier had dozed off at the bar. Lady Griffin was just ignoring him now. A few other cutomers were doing buisness in both bar and brothel keeping her busy fixing drinks. "Do what you need Atro. But come get some lunch first. You've been outside for a few hours. Chef has had time to carve the deer and we have a lovely stew simmering. For you, two silver." As she was speaking, she ladeled some soup into a bowl and poured some fresh milk into a cup for him setting them on the counter with a few slices of buttered bread.

"Tell me, besides this hunting, were you ever thinking of doing anything else witb yoyr life? Not that hunting isn't good, but someone like you could so a lot better than this small town with its small minded racists," she asked.

(Ooc: i love that you used dice. I keep a d6 and d20 with me all the time. ;p

Also, rolled a 11. Yikes.)

#14
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Atro sits at the bar, enjoying his conversations with Lady Griffin throughout the day. He places 5 silver pieces on the table as a thanks for Lady Griffin's kindness. "Please, I would rather give more back to you, my friend." He starts to sip at the soup, a delightful mixture of savory and spicy. 

 

"I'm aware that my life is simple, but its rewarding. This town as a whole might not be the kindest, but it also has given me the opportunity to meet kind hearted people, like yourself. It would take something big to take me away from this place. Its my home. Plus, I love the look on those small minded folks' faces when they see something good come from a tiefling," Atro smirked. "Now its my turn. From what I understand, you aren't from here Lady Griffin. I think it was.... Aubrey? Is that correct? Why settle down in this town?"

 

(OOC: Sorry I kept calling this the Honest Harlet, I forgot you had your own tavern/brothel the Lonely Sticks. Also, that 11 will make things interesting! I will roll my stuff after our conversation :D )


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin


#15
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
(Lol, yeah. Honest harlot was taken.)

"Yeah, though not many know as much as you. I did come from Aubrey, born and raised. But I settled here for my own reason," she said, a tinge of sadness in her voice. "Besides, that was years ago. And I am not the young cleric I once was. Now, if you really want to stick it to these bigots, you need to go and open yourself a store. Or go adventuring and come back with a mountain of jewels and riches. They say the best way to get revenge is to live well. I'm sure a good hunter like yourself could yake down any beast, or at the least open a thriving butcher shop." She made several drinks for waitresses to take out to customers, keeping track in a second book about what was used. That would be so she could talley up the cost of the night and hopefully subtract it from what they earned.

#16
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Atro laughed at the adventuring comment. "I could never be an adventurer. My family relies too much on me. I'm the one that brings in the hunt, the most core supply of our living. My mother and brother are geniuses when it comes to leather crafting, but neither can fire a bow like I can. It may have been a possibility a year ago when my father was still around, but what's done is done. I'm sorry for bringing up your past, I know it can be difficult." Oddly enough, sadness didn't manifest in Atro's voice when bringing up his father, but he seemed truly apologetic towards Lady Griffin.

 

"The shop on the other hand, is not a bad idea! I have a stand down the street where I try to sell some items, but it doesn't always pan out. People like getting their food inside walls! Where do they think the food comes from?!" He laughed again. "Maybe we could become business partners. We could add on an addition to this fine establishment. Its in a great spot in town, and people wouldn't be turned away entirely after seeing me, you know, red skin and all. I would be willing to provide meats to you at a discounted price for good!"

 

Atro felt a swelling in his heart. How wonderful would this be for his family! His kills are always very clean. And the pelts and leather clothes would sell like crazy, especially in the winter!


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin


#17
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
"Hmm," she said thoughtfully. She was quiet for several moments. "No, the numbers do not work out. Building something new, even if it's adding onto something, is very costly. The matirials alone are hard enough to obtain. But, buying an existing structure would not break the book. There is a shop three doors down that has recently been vacated. Poor woman was accosted by those no good adventurers that blew through town and burned down one of the other brothels. I'd say it was be good business for me, since more people should come here, but with the slave traders gone, a bunch of profit left too. But I digress, that woman refuses to return to town. Maybe you could purchase her shop, and cheap too since she wants to be done with it. I could give you a partial loan to purchase it, but I don't think I could lend you enough for the whole thing." She was opening her record book and doing some math in her head. "If I ask the girls to charge more, we will be fine."

(Heh, shameless tie in to the show. Gives us a time point too.)

#18
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

(I love the shameless tie in!!!  :lol: )

 

"You've got a point there. I wonder how much the woman would want for it. I would also need be able to hire someone to watch the shop while I'm out hunting. Maybe my mother and brother could spend time there and work there instead of at the house. The tannery is even built to be moveable, and we could have it just out back of the shop! I'll talk with them about it tonight. Thank ma'am for the ideas. I can't believe I never thought of that. Let's just hope those adventurers come back to burn down more of the town."

 

Atro finished the last of his stew. "Well, I better setup that trap while there is still light out! Wouldn't want to miss my chance! Thank you again ma'am. I'll be back in the morning to see how the trap works.

 

(Trap set up = 15, woodpecker position = 16, this woodpecker is as good as dead  <_< sorry about your shingles, lets see how many will need to be replaced with a 1d20+1 [+1 for the one I'm ruining] = 5)


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin


#19
GriffinQueen

GriffinQueen

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
"If you need a face for the store, I can send one of the girls. Lisa is lowest when it comes to prifits, so i could send her without much loss. And a human face would be more welcoming. Just make sure everyone knows you are doing the cutting and killing," she said. "Let me know when you talk to the woman. I'll have the loan ready. And come back any time, i know one of the girls has been eyeing you up since you entered," she said with a playful smirk. She took the dirty dishware and put it in a bucket behind the counter.

#20
Necrobecr

Necrobecr

    Uman' Yiro Researcher

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Atro came back early the next day, carrying a small package and excited to see if the trap worked, but worried for the Lonely Sticks' roof. Last night the winds were harsh, threatening to blow over some weaker structures. He got to the building, excited to hear the woodpecker trapped. He climbed a ladder to the roof and found the trap full, just as expected, and he took care of the pest. He looked around and noticed that only five shingles blew off. Fewer than he had expected honestly. This would be great news for Lady Griffin to hear.

 

He entered the shop and searched for the woman, of course, finding her quickly. "Lady Griffin! I have great news! The woodpecker will no longer be pestering your guests, if you wish to see the proof, I have it outside. I didn't want to bring that thing into your shop. Some less than great news though. Looks like the winds blew off a few of your shingles, but it is fewer than I expected last night! Only five, and I'm sure that won't cost a terrible amount. I would fix it myself, but I want to make sure a professional does it. I'm not terribly skilled with thatching."

 

Though this was thrilling, Atro was more anxious to tell her the bigger news. "I spoke with my family last night about the shop prospect. We're all in agreement that it would be a great move for us. And my mother asked me to bring you this. Its a thank you gift for the offer of a loan! I was also thinking, if we do end up deciding to purchase the building and you give us a loan, we would be willing to give you 10% of all income until the loan is paid off, and then 2.5% for the remainder of our business as an extra thank you. We will not accept anything less."

 

He placed the package on the bar. Awaiting her to open it to find inside a beautiful cloak lined with beaver fur, few pelts would be warmer.


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Kephalos Ploutarchos, Human Avenger of the Raven Queen in Aubrey

-Atronach Billow, Tiefling Ranger from Durhollow

-Josh from Wisconsin





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users